National Mushroom Day is celebrated on October 15th. Now there are over 14 thousand different types of mushroom cultures, many of which people regularly use for food. On the occasion of the holiday, you should definitely please yourself and your family with a delicious and hearty mushroom dish, side dish or sauce.
Initially, mushrooms were used for rituals and the creation of medicines, and only much later they began to be eaten – about 30-50 thousand years ago in Africa. In Europe, they ended up after the end of the last icing, when humanity was sorely lacking food. However, due to the fact that our ancestors did not eat mushroom food before, their body has not yet formed an enzyme apparatus for digesting this type of food and obtaining nutrients from it. The stomach of a modern person is accustomed to such nutrition, it is much easier to digest dishes with this ingredient, and besides, people have learned to cook a huge variety of dishes with mushrooms.
- each mushroom consists of approximately 90% water, therefore, when fried, they are significantly reduced due to the evaporation of the liquid;
- in 1928, the English microbiologist Alexander Fleming isolated penicillin from a yeast fungus, thanks to which many lives were saved;
- a growing mushroom is able to destroy wood, asphalt, marble, because the pressure inside it is about 7 atmospheres;
- the oldest mushroom was found by scientists in 1859 – its age reaches four hundred million years, that is, mushrooms may be older than dinosaurs;
- truffles are the most expensive type of mushrooms: one of them, weighing 3,3 pounds, was sold for 330 thousand dollars.
How to celebrate
On the occasion of the celebration, you can visit a restaurant with family or friends to taste a delicious mushroom delicacy there, or try to cook something from mushrooms at home. In addition, lovers of walks in nature can go personally to pick mushrooms in places where picking is allowed. However, before eating mushrooms collected in the forest or in a clearing, it is important to carefully check on the Internet whether they are edible.
When is National Mushroom Day Celebrated in 2022?
National Mushroom Day is devoted to celebrating cheerfulness and fun. It happens annually on October the 15th.