People in different parts of the world season their dishes with hot sauce. Many Americans cannot even imagine meat, spaghetti, scrambled eggs without it. And why not make a holiday in honor of your favorite seasoning, someone thought, and this is how National Hot Sauce Day appeared. The unusual celebration is popular in many countries, but most of all this day is honored in the USA and Mexico.
In the United States, as well as Mexico, chili has been grown for more than 6500 thousand years. America is considered the birthplace of the plant. Hot pepper seedlings were sold by Spanish and Portuguese merchants. By the middle of the XVI century. chili grew in most of Europe, in Asia and Africa.
For a long time, the sauce was made at home according to family recipes. The first bottled hot sauce appeared on store shelves in Massachusetts (1807). Emund McLenny was a bank employee for a long time, but after moving to Louisiana, he changed his occupation. In 1868, the McLenny company released Tabasco sauce, which is still considered the most popular sauce.
- The first advertisement for hot sauce appeared over 200 years ago.
- More than 135 varieties of chili peppers are grown in Mexico.
- According to a survey, about 50% of Americans cannot do without hot sauce and always keep 1-2 bottles in stock.
- The smaller the pepper, the hotter it is.
- Various varieties of peppers are used to make hot sauces. The Mexicans prefer jalapeno or chipotle as the main ingredient, but in Jamaica they prepare a sauce made from Scotch pepper.
How to celebrate
The most suitable day for organizing a noisy party with friends, where on the table among meat delicacies, vegetables, greens, the favorite type of hot sauce will take pride of place.
It is worth trying to make your own sauce at National Hot Sauce Day. There are many different recipes on the Internet, among which there is sure to be a suitable one.
You can just go to the store and buy several types of hot sauces and arrange an event at home with a tasting and a quiz on the knowledge of curious facts about the methods, nuances of making hot sauces and its history.
When is National Hot Sauce Day celebrated in 2024?
National Hot Sauce Day is observed on January 22 each year.