National Fried Scallops Day is the perfect holiday to indulge in a delicious delicacy! The scallop is a mollusk belonging to the Pectinidae family. It tastes amazing when cooked right: baked, used in sushi, soups, etc. Most often, scallops are fried in oil with the addition of aromatic herbs – the date is dedicated to this particular recipe.
National Day was created with all the love for marine life! However, many at the mention of the word “shellfish” represent oysters. We have nothing against it, but scallops deserve no less fame. Found fossils say that they existed 300 million years ago!
Mollusks live in all the oceans of the world, some species can be found in bays and shallow waters. As a rule, they do not travel long distances. People appreciate them not only for their taste, but also for their amazingly beautiful shells: many tourists collect them along the coasts and leave them as a memory of the trip.
The popularity of scallops in the United States increased in the 19th century – until that time, people had no idea that they could be deliciously cooked. Therefore, preference was given to shrimp, oysters, mussels, lobsters … After a while, people came up with recipes for scallops, they instantly entered the restaurant menu!
Some curious things:
- surprisingly, the very first written recipe dates back to 1846 – it appeared in the cookbook “Miss Beecher’s Domestic Receipt Book”;
- scallops swim by opening / closing the shell with the help of a muscle, which is edible;
- in a marine inhabitant a colossal amount of vitamins;
- most of the mollusks are hermaphrodites, they reproduce by spawning;
- have rings – they mean years of growth. In rare cases, they appear due to stress.
How to celebrate
Buy a delicacy in a fish store – it is sold both with shells and ready-to-fry. Learn the recipe you like and act! It’s great if you share kitchen chores with loved ones – it’s more interesting to create! If you are not sure of your skills, visit the nearest establishment and try the chef’s dish.
When is National Fried Scallops Day in 2022?
National Fried Scallops Day is observed on October 2 each year.