Name Your PC Day is celebrated on November 20th in America and is a humorous holiday. However, let’s look at it differently—we spend a lot of time with our computers and they are our loyal companions, so they deserve to have a name!
It is unknown who created this holiday, but the idea was likely born out of the many hours spent at the computer. It is believed that the first computing device was created in the 1600s in the form of a calculator. In the 1970s, microprocessors were developed, which allowed for the mass production of computers. Initially, computers were only popular with tech-lovers, but now, we can’t imagine life without them.
- The first ENIAC computer weighed 27 tons and occupied 167m2.
- The first computer mouse was invented by American engineer Doug Engelbart.
- 80% of emails sent per day are spam.
- The hard disk was created in 1980 with an initial volume of 5 megabytes.
- The average person blinks 7 times per minute when looking at a screen.
- It is possible to work on a computer without any software loaded, given the right skills.
How to take part
The best way to take part in Name Your PC Day is to give your electronic friend a nickname. Show your imagination and come up with a gender and name that will impress. Take your device to a service center to clean the dust, and follow the master’s recommendations. If your old PC is having trouble, consider buying a new one and celebrating the date with your friends!
When is Name Your PC Day celebrated in 2023?
Name Your PC Day is observed on November 20 each year.