National Shrink Day is celebrated every year on September 5th. It is a special holiday celebrating the strong emotional bond that exists between a patient and a psychiatrist. The holiday reminds us of the huge contribution of psychologists, psychotherapists and psychiatrists to the health of the nation. The work of these specialists is worthy of respect and gratitude.
Despite the fact that the work of psychologists and psychiatrists has become an integral part of modern life, these specialties have appeared relatively recently. In ancient civilizations, attention was paid to human emotions and philosophy, but this was not a full-fledged academic discipline. No psychological research had been done. The first psychological research dates back to the 19th century, when a psychological research laboratory was organized by the efforts of the German scientists Gustav Fechner and Wilhelm Wundt. At this time, the foundations of psychoanalysis were proposed by Sigmund Freud.
- National Shrink Day is founded in honor of Bob Newhart, who flawlessly and brilliantly played a psychiatrist on The Bob Newhart Show.
- The largest number of directions and specializations in psychology appeared in the 20th century, at which time psychology became an official academic discipline.
- The brain is an invaluable and powerful store of information; research has shown that it can hold about 2,5 million gigabytes of data.
- The nervous system begins to form within a few weeks after conception.
- Emotions can transform the brain and change it.
How to take part
Spend a day watching a psychiatric series, or read a book about the work of these specialists; it will expand your worldview. Browse thematic groups on social networks, find interesting events for yourself and visit them. Talk to a psychologist, and thank them for their work.
When is National Shrink Day in 2022?
National Shrink Day is observed on September 5 each year.