World IBD Day
World IBD Day is a day against inflammatory bowel diseases. On this day, actions are held in support of patients with this disease, information events are organized.
Inflammatory bowel disease is a group of diseases that can cause serious damage to the intestinal wall. These diseases include Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis. IBD is diagnosed in men, women, adolescents and children. Patients experience abdominal pain, weakness, skin rashes, diarrhea, weight loss, anemia, and other symptoms. The causes of IBD can be different: genetic predisposition, infection, vitamin deficiency, the spread of bacteria, and others.
For the first time, American gastroenterologist Barrill Krohn spoke about Crohn’s inflammatory bowel disease. It was at a professional meeting held on May 19, 1932. The disease was named after an American doctor. And May 19 was later designated as World IBD Day. This event is held on 5 continents, in more than 50 countries.
What is important to know about IBD?
- Often, inflammatory bowel disease can cause arthritis, skin and eye diseases.
- IBD can cause depression, nervousness, panic attacks.
- Ulcerative colitis is being diagnosed more than ever.
- IBD increases the risk of colon cancer.
- Among other symptoms of IBD: frequent desire (including false) to empty, nausea, joint pain.
When is World IBD Day in 2022?
World IBD Day is observed on May 19 each year.