- This event has passed.
Swim A Lap Day
The origin of Swim A Lap Day is currently unknown. This weird holiday provides a great way to kick off summer and a perfect opportunity for swimmers to have fun in the pool! Swimming is an ideal recreational and competitive sport that helps athletes maximize their fitness. Many pools have lanes for people to use when they want to swim laps. Unlike running laps, swimming laps consist of swimming back and forth from one side of the pool to the other. If it’s difficult for you to swim, try using swim fins (our favorite are the pink fins)! Wear proper swimming attire like goggles, a snorkel, a nose plug, sunscreen, a swim cap, and of course a swim suit!
Celebrate this weird holiday by heading out to the pool! Swim as many laps as you can! Hold a competition with friends to see who can swim the most laps or the fastest lap! Participate in a swimming competition (long course, short course, medley, or open water)! See which one of your friends can hold their breath the longest while swimming underwater! Wish your friends and family a «Happy Swim A Lap Day!». Wear or lay on a floatation device in the pool, and float like a duck! If you don’t enjoy swimming or can’t swim at all, try lounging on a pool chair and work on your tan while drinking a martini! However you decide to spend Swim A Lap Day, spend time out at the pool and get wet!
Swim A Lap Day Fun Facts
- 65% of people in the United States don’t know how to swim!
- Swimming became an Olympic event for the first time in 1896!
- In 1907, White Star Line’s Adriatic became the first ocean liner to have a swimming pool ready to go to sea!
- Benjamin Franklin invented swim fins!
- Swimming causes less stress on your body’s bones and joints than in other sports because your body is supported by water.
Swim A Lap Day Jokes
- What kind of stroke can you use on toast?
- What do a dentist and a swim coach have in common?
- They both use drills!
- Why did the swimmer keep doing the backstroke?
- The swimmer just had lunch and didn’t want to swim on a full stomach.
- Why didn’t the vegetarian stay in swimming for very long?
- She didn’t like the meets.
- Whenever you are feeling powerless, remember that just one of your turds can shut down a whole swimming pool.
Swim A Lap Day Quotes
- «This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can’t see how deep it is». Dennis Rodman
- «I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can’t get my wife to go swimming». Jimmy Carter
- «Swimming is normal for me. I’m relaxed. I’m comfortable, and I know my surroundings. It’s my home». Michael Phelps
- «I was quite fat as a kid. And swimming is a sport you can enjoy whatever size you are. If you’re fat, running is a pain. I’m not really built for running». David Walliams
- «If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?». Steven Wright
Swim A Lap Day Destinations
- If you have a swimming pool at your home, take a dip, and swim some laps!
- If there is a community pool in your neighborhood, go swimming in honor of Swim A Lap Day!
- Go to the lake with friends, and swim in the area designated for swimmers!
- Go to the ocean, and swim against the waves!
- Stay home, and read about Swim A Lap Day on WeirdHoliday.com!
This holiday has also been called: National Swim A Lap Day and International Swim A Lap Day.
June 24th is also International Fairy Day, Museum Comes to Life Day, and National Pralines Day!
Swim A Lap Day is celebrated in June which is: Adopt-A-Cat Month, Fight the Filthy Fly Month, Great Outdoors Month, LGBT Pride Month, National Accordion Awareness Month, National Candy Month, National Dairy Month, National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, National Rose Month, National Turkey Lovers’ Month, and National Zoo and Aquarium Month!
When is Swim A Lap Day in 2022?
Swim A Lap Day is observed on June 24 each year.