If your favorite board game is to make words out of letters, on April 13 you celebrate Scrabble Day; play another game in company of friends. Simple, fascinating entertainment has army of fans giving game sacred, mystical meaning. Most prefer to enjoy «charging» for mind, sense of superiority among less intelligent rivals.
Alfred Butts gave world Scrabble in 1938. First samples were created by hand, sold as exclusive product from first-hand masters, family entertainment available to people of any age. Game has children’s variation implying presence of cards with images. Big companies organize real tournaments. It’s gamble! Online format allows competing with computer, real opponents registered on virtual platforms.
Name is abbreviated version of phrase «to scratch frantically».
- Predecessor — word game called Lexico played in second half of the last century.
- Vocabulary of modern Scrabble is being updated, includes modern slang, specific terms from information technology field.
- Scrabble playing fields in format for visually impaired are decorated with Braille font. Convex dots and dashes are applied, helping people with poor eyesight to easily read information.
- Every 60 minutes 30 thousand rounds are played.
- International game available in 120 countries.
Choose 7 letters, start exciting journey into words world. There are many interesting discoveries, amazing results!
When is Scrabble Day celebrated in 2022?
Scrabble Day is observed on April 13 each year.