National Suicide Prevention Month
National Suicide Prevention Month is a time to reflect on how many people make the terrible decision to commit suicide every day. According to statistics, more than 130 suicides occur every day in America alone. It is placed tenth on the list of causes of death in America. In September, there is an active information campaign aimed at preventing suicide. Many public organizations and ordinary people take part in events and help those who need support.
This important event was started by the National Alliance for Mental Illness, created in 1979 to support families who had to deal with the problem of suicidal disorders. The topic of suicide in America is unpopular, but people with such mental disorders need help, and they get it.
In September, a huge number of events are held, during which people can find out where to get help, how treatment is carried out, what methods are used, and how to prevent a tragedy. Today society is more open, ready to discuss any topic and come to the rescue. However, psychologists note that suicide is the fastest growing epidemic in America.
How to help someone in crisis
- Unfortunately, everyone can find themselves in a difficult situation, so it is important to understand how to help in such a situation in order to prevent a tragedy.
- According to statistics, thoughts of suicide come to people regardless of age, gender, or profession. Unfortunately, even successful and outwardly happy people think about suicide.
- If you notice strange behavior in a person, ask direct questions – ask if they are thinking about suicide.
- As a rule, people with suicidal thoughts suffer from loneliness and misunderstanding, so talk to the person, show you are present, and ready to listen and help.
- Remove all objects with which a person can harm themselves – medicines, knives, drugs, alcohol, or weapons.
- Be sure to say you have a clear plan for helping, you will contact a professional, you will be able to use materials from thematic resources.
- Make sure the person sees a professional. If not, call the National Suicide Prevention Line or dial 911.
How to Join National Suicide Prevention Month
Learn the information – listen to mental health advocates, survivors of suicide, relatives and friends of the victims. They share experiences and important information. Share data on social networks, involve more people in this topic. Perhaps the information will help someone. Actively share stories of salvation and hope. Start working as a volunteer, help those who find themselves in a difficult life situation. Record a motivational video and post it on social networks. Use the hashtag #suicideispreventable.
When is National Suicide Prevention Month celebrated in 2022?
National Suicide Prevention Month is observed on September 1 each year.