- This event has passed.
National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day
June 9, 2022
Ripe berries and a crispy shortbread crust are the taste of June 9, National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day. This uncommon dessert, with its unique taste, is based on a mixture of vegetables and berries. An intriguing event associated with pleasure eating.
Strawberry pie is considered a national dessert. The recipe is connected with the culinary traditions of New England. At the end of the XVIII century, rhubarb was grown in Maine, and this treat came to life. The original pie is from the United Kingdom and regions of Germany, where the custom of baking the original dessert was widespread.
Rhubarb is a vegetable with a tart taste, and the strawberries add sweetness to the pie. An ideal balance of sensations is formed.
- Rhubarb is grown in gardens; it is a perennial plant. Harvest is in late spring and early summer.
- A remarkable property of rhubarb is its ability to adapt to accompanying ingredients. The taste becomes softer, losing some of its expressive sharpness.
- Only the stems are eaten; rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
Rhubarb is good for the body and rich in vitamins.
How to take part
- Go to a farm and participate in the harvest.
- Attend cooking courses and learn to bake branded pies according to the recipes from professional chefs who take into account the slightest nuances in ingredient compatibility.
- Plant strawberries in advance on your own plot; by the time the holiday comes around, you will collect the fruits.
- When baking strawberry rhubarb pie, it is permissible to add some tapioca. This simple pie is baked on ordinary days, too, and served with tea.
The pie can be stored in perfect condition at room temperature for 2 days. Owing to the composition of the dough and crust, it can be kept in the refrigerator for 4-5 days, just be sure to keep in covered.
When is National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day celebrated in 2022?
National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day is observed on June 9 each year.