- This event has passed.
National Rescue Dog Day
People leave pets or keep them outside without a chance to eat well and be healthy. It is an essential issue highlighted on May 20, National Rescue Dog Day. Owners are responsible for their animals, but their frivolous behavior becomes a deadly risk. Homeless, abandoned dogs are exposed.
In 1824, an organization was created in the UK to rescue abandoned animals subjected to abuse. Lisa Wiehebrink initiated the creation of a special holiday. Rescuing a dog in 2009, she wrote a book to attract public attention, and studied the issue of the emotional, psychological connection between dogs and people. The author believes love for animals should be instilled from childhood, as it helps a child become responsible, kind, sympathetic, and compassionate.
3 million dogs end up in homeless shelters every year.
- The reason for the huge number of stray dogs is their owners’ refusal to sterilize their pet, and an inability to provide a home to the resulting offspring.
- A dog has a close relationship with its owner, and is devoted to them. It becomes their best friend and protects and comforts them.
- Dogs are easily trained. It allows them to be hired by social services to rescue and search for people and identify dangerous substances.
- A person who mistreats an animal is prone to domestic violence against their relatives.
- Animals that people drive out of the house do not adapt well to life on the street. They are gullible. They get into trouble and they are infected with deadly diseases or viruses, and even may be poisoned.
This holiday is a great occasion to take a destitute animal into your house from a shelter. It is important to give a chance for a better life. This is also an opportunity to find a true friend.
When is National Rescue Dog Day in 2022?
National Rescue Dog Day is observed on May 20 each year.