- This event has passed.
National Leave the Office Early Day
A holiday that might not be popular with workaholics, National Leave the Office Early Day is on June 2. Time to knock off early!
Labor productivity specialist Laura Stack came up with this recreational national day in 2004. The goal is increasing the effectiveness of staff. She believes tired workers are less productive. This harms the company and damages the workforce’s health. The quality and timeliness of rest, an opportunity for distraction, and a change in the type of activity affect performance and increase a company’s profit.
The holiday is unofficial, usually scheduled for a Friday or a Monday.
- Statistics show Americans spend hundreds of hours more at their workplace than Europeans.
- A standard working day is 8 hours, but workers in the United States often work 10-14 hours a day. This leads to increased fatigue and professional burnout.
- After finishing office work, employees go home to… continue working on their home computer. Modern information technologies enable a nearly uninterrupted workflow.
Planning helps to avoid fuss, enabling workers to perform their tasks efficiently before the deadline. Follow a sequence. The brain facilitates total concentration on a specific task. No-one is as good at multi-tasking as they think. Multitasking creates the risk of missing essential details, leading to sub-par results.
How to take part
- If an employer does not show support for this unofficial reason to rest, notify the boss verbally in advance or create a written statement if required by the charter. Observe professional ethics and the internal rules of the organization. Loyal management often supports the initiative on June 2.
- Spend your free hours on leisure activities: visit a massage parlor and relax. Have a delicious dinner at a restaurant. Make a date and have an unforgettable time. Watch your favorite movie, or finish reading a book. Go shopping and treat yourself to something nice.
- Go home on foot; walking is useful for inducing sleeping, especially if your route takes you through a park or along an embankment. Look at the sunset. Take a beautiful photo and share it.
This is an opportunity to reboot and restore the balance between work and rest. It is important not to get stressed or get depressed.
When is National Leave the Office Early Day celebrated in 2022?
National Leave the Office Early Day is observed on June 2 each year.