- This event has passed.
National Doughnut Day
The first Friday of June is National Doughnut Day! National Doughnut Day has unique origins. In 1917, Salvation Army volunteers (called «lassies») prepared donuts for soldiers during World War I. In 1938, the National Doughnut Day was officially established by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise funds during the Great Depression. Donate to the Salvation Army to respect those who serve in the Salvation Army on National Doughnut Day!
Celebrate this weird holiday by starting your day off with a box of your favorite doughnuts. Try cooking your own doughnuts! Begin training and get in shape for the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Run! Walk up to a random stranger, and tell him «Happy National Doughnut Day!». Any way you decide to celebrate National Doughnut Day, keep it fun and delicious!
National Doughnut Day Fun Facts
- Over 10,000,000,000 doughnuts are made in the United States every year.
- The largest doughnut ever made was an American-style jelly doughnut that weighed 1.7 tons (16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center).
- Canada has more doughnut restaurants than any other country (per capita).
- The hole in the doughnut was put there originally to allow the doughnut to cook more evenly.
- The Dutch are many times credited with bringing donuts to the United States in the 1800s.
- Sometimes a doughnut can be the healthier choice. A jelly doughnut at Dunkin’ Donuts has about 260 calories, while a plain bagel contains about 320 calories.
- The practice of dunking doughnuts supposedly originated in a New York restaurant when Mae Murray dropped hers in her coffee.
- 10 people in the United States have the name Doughnut/Donut.
- 498 people in the United States have the name Sprinkles.
- Boston is the most popular city in the United States for Doughnuts with one doughnut shop for every 2480 people (250 shops total).
National Doughnut Day Jokes
- What do you see when the Pillsbury Dough Boy bends over?
- What is the Wiki definition for a doughnut?
- A poor man’s substitute for women.
- Why did the doughnut go to the dentist?
- It needed a chocolate filling.
- Why did the doughnut maker retire?
- He was fed up with the hole business.
- We wanted to find a Dunkin’ Donuts in New London, so we followed a cop…
- …It took four minutes.
National Doughnut Day Quotes
- «It’s simple. Eat well, exercise and get lots of sleep but make sure you indulge occasionally. At my age I think, what the hell, and eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut!». Michelle Pfeiffer
- «Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the hole!». Oscar Wilde
National Doughnut Day Destinations
- Krispy Kreme offers one free doughnut per customer with no purchase necessary on National Doughnut Day!
- Dunkin’ Donuts offers one free doughnut with any beverage purchase on National Doughnut Day!
- LaMar’s Donuts offers free donuts with no purchase necessary, and a portion of the week’s profits will be donated to The Salvation Army on National Doughnut Day!
- Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill donates $1 to The Salvation Army for every order of its Hot Bag O’ Donuts on National Doughnut Day!
- Tim Hortons offers one free doughnut with any purchase with a Facebook coupon on National Doughnut Day!
- Entenmann’s donates $1 to the Salvation Army for everyone who likes their Facebook page during the first half on June. Additionally, Entenmann’s offers a Donut Day sweepstakes, where the top prizes include 100 winners who will receive free Entenmann’s donuts for a year in honor of National Doughnut Day.
- Winn Dixie offers free jumbo doughnut holes to customers at locations in Florida on National Doughnut Day.
- Tastykake offers a coupon for a free Tastykake doughnut product for the first 5,000 fans who like their Facebook page that will be redeemable on National Doughnut Day through June 14.
Alternative titles for this holiday include: National Donut Day, International Doughnut Day, International Donut Day, Doughnut Day, and Donut Day.
When is National Doughnut Day in 2022?
National Doughnut Day is devoted to celebrating cheerfulness and fun. It is celebrated annually on the first Friday in June.