National Dolphin Day
Day of April 14 is dedicated to smart mammals on Earth; today we celebrate National Dolphin Day and continue to admire intelligence, extraordinary abilities of living creatures. They belong to cetaceans.
Evolution of dolphins goes back millions of years. Four-legged creatures moved into water, adapted to live in environment. People hunt dolphins. Poaching crafts are developed. Number of animals is declining under threat of extinction. Important to comply with laws; maintain presence of dolphins in natural environment without threat of criminal human actions. Holiday implies attract attention to essential issue arises within framework of environmental agenda. In 2009, staff member of National Geographic presented to audience documentary investigation on cases of mass extermination of dolphins off the coast of Japan. Author’s name is Louie Psihoyos. His film caused resonance, provoked worldwide interest in species conservation’s issue.
Dolphins have unique hearing, distinguishing sound vibrations at frequencies inaccessible to humans for perception.
- There are 40 varieties of dolphins. The most common and well-known is bottlenose dolphin.
- Dolphins prefer shallow water, at great depths they use special method of communication — echolocation helps find relatives, warn about dangers and navigate in water space.
- Dolphins migrate in flocks of up to 1000 individuals. If someone is sick or injured, they help a friend, take care of him, get food and protect.
- Dolphins are characters of fairy tales, children’s books, cartoons, wildlife films. Animals are happy to participate in full-scale filming, not afraid of persons, show friendliness and make contact.
- Dolphins have developed «family» ties, not separated from mother for 8 years since birth.
- Dolphins never sleep. When they rest, one half of brain «falls asleep», other — remains awake.
On holiday people make voluntary financial donations to charities involved in protection of rare fauna. Everyone can help, any amount is important. People attract public attention by creating thematic blog posts: temperature in ocean increases, it affects marine life. It is necessary to fight for conservation of dolphins in context of preventing global warming ensuring necessity, priority of holiday dedicated to dolphins.
When is National Dolphin Day celebrated in 2022?
National Dolphin Day is observed on April 14 each year.