- This event has passed.
Global Running Day
June 1, 2022
Global Running Day originated in 2009 and was created by the New York Road Runners, Boston Athletic Association, Running USA, and USA Track & Field. The holiday was started for runners (both competitive and recreational) to declare their passion for running. National Running Day celebrates the simple and fun sport and activity that helps veteran runners reaffirm their love of running and helps beginners set new resolutions to get in shape!
Celebrate this weird holiday by getting off your computer and going for a run! Start a training program for a road race! Get your friends together and go on a group run. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes, and have your running shoes fitted especially for your type of feet. Take your dog on a run through your neighborhood. When you run past another runner, yell «Happy National Running Day!». Above all, make National Running Day a fun and energetic day that will last a lifetime.
Global Running Day Fun Facts
- People typically burn at least 10 calories per minute of running.
- Stefaan Engels ran 365 marathons in 365 days, setting the world record in 2011 for the most marathons run on consecutive days.
- Hitcham El Guerrouj ran a mile in 3:43:13 in 1999, setting the world record for the mile run.
- The average man has enough energy in his body to run non-stop for 3 days at 24km per hour.
- Over 1,000,000,000 pairs of running shoes are sold each year.
- Professional runners typically take about 185-200 steps per minute.
- Runners and people who are physically active are 60% less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease that people who are inactive.
- The feet have 26 bones, 33 joints, 112 ligaments, and a network of nerves, tendons, and blood vessels have to work together each time a runner takes a stride.
- Music can improve your running performance by up to 15%!
- Fauja Singh was the oldest person to ever complete a marathon at 100-years-old. He didn’t start running until he was 89-years-old. You shouldn’t need any more motivation than this to get out and run-on Global Running Day!
Global Running Day Jokes
- Did you hear about the race between the lettuce and the tomato?
- The lettuce was a «head» and the tomato was trying to «ketchup!».
- Who is the fastest runner of all time?
- Adam, because he came first in the human race.
- What do you get when you run in front of a car?
- What do you get when you run behind a car?
- If runners get athlete’s foot what do astronauts get?
- What do runners do when they forget something?
- They jog their memory.
Global Running Day Quotes
- «Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts». Steve Prefontaine
- «Some people train knowing they’re not working as hard as other people. I can’t fathom how they think». Alberto Salazar
- «Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?». Peter Maher
- «I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart». Mike Fanelli
- «It’s very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit». George Sheehan
Global Running Day Destinations
- Go to the gym and run on the treadmill.
- Go to the local track and run intervals.
- Find a trail and go on an adventure run!
- Start at your house, and go on a random run that you don’t know where you are going until you get there!
- Drive (or run) to a running shoe store and buy a new pair of running shoes.
Alternative titles for this holiday include: International Running Day, National Runner Day, International Runner Day, National Runners Day, International Runners Day, National Run Day, International Run Day, Runner Day, Runners Day and Run Day.
When is Global Running Day in 2022?
Global Running Day is devoted to celebrating cheerfulness and fun. It is celebrated annually on the first Wednesday in June.