Ginger Cat Appreciation Day
Ginger Cat Appreciation Day is a celebration that smells like catnip and is filled with love for these fluffy four-legged pets. American programmer Chris Roy came up with this funny holiday dedicated to red cats. This event on the holiday calendar encourages people to help homeless cats, feed them, and give them shelter.
Often one small event can change your entire life, and that’s exactly what happened to Chris Roy, who turned from a software developer into an activist and advocate for the rights of homeless animals. In 1997, near his house, he saw a wonderful ginger cat and adopted it. As a result, the amazing cat named Doobert lived with Roy for 17 years. Unfortunately, in 2014, the death of his pet shocked him greatly, and he struggled with depression for a long time. As a result, he came up with a day of appreciation for the ginger cat. In addition, Roy has developed a special Doobert app that helps volunteers find animal shelters across America. As a result, Roy’s database consists of 1200 organizations and 27 volunteers.
- Cats get their red color due to a special gene in their body, namely in the X chromosome.
- It is noteworthy that the pigment that colors fur red is also present in the human body and gives the hair a red color.
- Red cats have five types of fur; depending on the specific type, the pet acquires an exclusive color.
- Ginger cats love the camera; this is confirmed by films in which pets successfully coped with the main role.
- These cats have a great appetite, they love to eat, so they often gain weight.
How to take part
Go to the nearest shelter and take a cat to whom you give love and care. Become a volunteer and help take care of homeless animals at the shelter. Learn more about ginger cats to better care for your pet. Remember, every pet has the right to a life of love and care, without injuries, illnesses, hunger, or thirst. Prepare treats for your furry friend, like catnip, salmon, or tuna.
When is Ginger Cat Appreciation Day celebrated in 2022?
Ginger Cat Appreciation Day is observed on September 1 each year.