- This event has passed.
June 16, 2022
Corpus Christi is a religious holiday dedicated to faith, as well as the miraculous sacrament of the transformation of the body and blood of Christ into bread and wine in Communion (the Sacrament of the Eucharist). Corpus Christi is celebrated by many countries on the first Thursday or Sunday after Trinity (approximately 60 days after Easter). The holiday is recognized by many countries as a state holiday.
The Feast of Corpus Christi is known as the celebration of the Body of Christ or the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ. On this day, the body of the Lord is honored by the Eucharist. In many religious calendars, this day is revered as Maundy Thursday. There is no single rite of celebration; each region independently plans celebrations, but the consumption of bread and wine is obligatory.
In 1246, by decision of the synod assembled by Bishop Robert, the feast of Corpus Christi was established, which was customarily celebrated from the next year.
- Corpus Christi became one of the main church holidays in the 15th century, but it was celebrated long before that.
- Catholics celebrate the holiday with street processions and bright theatrical performances.
- The clergy hold masses, the faithful pray and sing hymns.
- Corpus Christi is revered not only by Catholics, it is celebrated in Anglican and Lutheran churches, but traditionally other ways of celebrating are used here, without street processions.
- For all religions that celebrate Corpus Christi, communion is an important part of the event.
How to take part
In honor of the celebration, parades are held, together with theatrical performances on biblical themes, in which you can take part. In Central Europe, houses are decorated with large bouquets, and in Missouri it is customary to bless the area.
One unusual custom is to name geographical objects in honor of the holiday.
Be sure to bake bread and donate it to your nearest church, or use it for charity.
When is Corpus Christi celebrated in 2022?
Corpus Christi is observed on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday.