- This event has passed.
Autistic Pride Day
June 18, 2022
Every year on June 18, the whole world celebrates Autistic Pride Day – this is a special date when people with an autism spectrum disorder can be proud of who they are and openly declare themselves. This holiday was created so that people with autism do not perceive themselves as sick or cut off from society.
Autistic Pride Day was first celebrated in 2005 at the initiative of Aspies For Freedom. The mission of the holiday is to give people with autism one day when they can feel pride in being different from other people, and on the other hand, to tell the world that autism is not a disease and not a problem for society, but an unusual, unique set personal characteristics.
- Autism is a neurological disorder that affects the development of the brain. It is not easy for a person with ASD to communicate with people and interact socially.
- Manifestations of autism can be seen in a child under three years old – he does not accept changes, behaves typically and the same, and new places and crowds of people confuse and disturb him.
- Autism cannot be prevented because during pregnancy, the doctor cannot determine the presence of the disorder.
- Autistic Pride Day is not held by charitable foundations, but by people with ASD – an autism spectrum disorder. The symptoms of autism manifest themselves in different ways and in different combinations.
- Autism is diagnosed 4 times more often in boys, the prevalence of the disorder is 1 child in 250 children, and approximately 40% of children with autism cannot speak.
How to take part
- Read more about people with autism; they are very deep, unusual, empathetic people. For two decades, the number of people with this diagnosis has been increasing.
- Take part in thematic events, like lectures and seminars.
When is Autistic Pride Day celebrated in 2022?
Autistic Pride Day is observed on June 18 each year.