Alice Springs Show Day
The July Alice Springs Show Day is considered one of the largest agricultural and social celebrations in northern Australia. The name of the national day is due to the name of the Alice-Springs region. On this day, the show takes place in Blatherskyte Park, and cheaper tickets can be bought in advance. The holiday exists to support the development of agriculture, viticulture, horticulture, as well as to promote commercial, industrial, artistic endeavors in Australia.
The quaint town of Alice-Springs is home to about 25,000 people. The city itself is located in a region surrounded by deserts and known as the “Red Center”. Alice Springs Show Day is a traditional village show created by the locals to have fun in a family setting.
The first Alice Springs Show Day was held in 1960 at Anzac Oval, since then the popularity of the holiday began to grow rapidly due to the interest of residents. Today it is a regional public holiday during which the population takes a day off from study and work. During the celebration, participants compete, watch and perform a performance, perform in entertainment arenas, a farm yard for communication with animals, as well as fun rides.
There are some Interesting facts about this national day of Australia:
- the former name of the city of Alice-Springs is Stuart, while now the locals simply call it Alice;
- during Alice Springs Show Day, the Centralian Livestock Association raises funds for charity;
- The holiday traditionally lasts from 1 to 2 July.
How to celebrate
You can celebrate Alice Springs Show Day in one of the following ways:
- attend a performance on the occasion of the national day, because preparations for it last for months, but it looks unforgettable and gives vivid impressions;
- make a donation to the Alice Springs Show Day, thanks to which you can support gardeners and provide animals from the show with good living conditions;
- visit Alice-Springs, which is the third largest city in northern Australia.
When is Alice Springs Show Day celebrated in 2022?
Alice Springs Show Day is observed on the first Friday and Saturday of July each year.